Friday, November 5, 2010

Stripping cloth diapers

Today I stripped all of my cloth diapers. I have never done this before. The most I have done was washing them several times in hot water in the washer machine with no soap. But this IS THE REAL way to do it. I didn't even know about this till yesterday.

I noticed that Victoria was starting to get a diaper rash the past few days, just barely. And my babies NEVER get diaper rashes, I believe I am very aware of what they eat and we avoid all "hot poops" at all cost. :)
So I got online to read about residue build up on cloth diapers and diaper rashes and I learned that even if I use a 1/4 of the recommended amount of store bought soaps I can still be having build up. Most store bought laundry soap leaves residue. And I also learned that if I am not using enough/ the proper amount of store bought soaps my diapers could possibly not be getting all the way clean, which was also true. Her diapers were also giving off a strong ammonia smell, but when I'd change her there wasn't much wetness??? Which was also a sign of soap build up.
ANNNNND.... her diapers were begining to leak only at the legs. So I had all of the symptoms of soap build up on my cloth diapers.... thus the decision to "strip" them.

* leaking at legs
* strong ammonia smell
* diaper rash, unexplained
* using regular store bought laundry soap

1. So I took all of my "happy heinyz" pocket diapers, unstuffed them, and all my extra prefolds, put them in a basket next to the stove.
2. Put BIG pot of water on the stove to boil, turned off heat, removed from hot burner.
3. Put only the amount of diapers in the pot which could be submerged completely in hot water.
4. Stirred and soaked for at least 20 - 30 mins.
5. Dumped the entire pot of hot water and diapers in my front loader washer.
6. Proceeded to wash the load in HOT water, NO SOAP, on my heaviest/ hottest setting with extra rinse.
7. Tossed them in the dryer.

They came out perfect!!! First time they smelled COMPLETELY CLEAN!!! Last night my sweet husband bought me all my "soaps and paper products" for the month since he had just got paid. So I was prepared to change soap brands when we went there. I bought one small box of powders "SUN" brand soap which was stated on that internet site as one of the least buildup-able, residue-leaving soaps. However since I have a font loader I was also told that I can't ever buy those kinds of cheap soaps again. I'm going to try it. I'll keep you posted, let ya know here in the next few days how clean my diapers smell and if she continues to get a rash or if it clears up completely... we'll see.

No comments: